The workforce from the corporate world has been dissociated from the conventional organizational boundaries a while ago. The want for freedom in work-life has led to the sprout of a new profession in society called ‘freelancing’. Freelancing is not an individual job but a business on its own. This freelance business is gaining traction as the organizations also have started to notice the existing benefits of hiring task-based professionals.
What is a freelance business?
A freelance business is a microform of a general business structure.
The freelancers get clients from their network, references from past clients, or through freelance websites like Fiverr, Toptal, Guru.
They offer their services i.e high quality Content Writing, SEO Services, graphic design, Website Development, etc, to the clients and get paid for the work done.
How freelance business helps you?
The freelance business offers you a great benefit over your work-life balance comparatively with regular employment. An average freelance business offers a freelancer the following benefits:
- Flexible working hours
- Scalable business intake
- Build a strong portfolio in a field
- Opportunity to learn and sharpen multiple skills
- You are your own boss and employee
- No peer pressures
- Enough time to spend personal life
- Digital nomad lifestyle
- No physical office needed
- Flexible option to launch the freelance business into a traditional business
What is Fiverr?
Fiverr is a marketplace for freelancing services. It is a mediator platform connecting freelancers and businesses in one place. You can register yourself as a freelancer and list out the fiverr services you can offer and make money online.
When someone needs a job to get done, they will hire you for it.
Pitch yourself as a freelancer and describe your gig better to display what you offer them for the price you charge. Fiverr has a sectional interface that divides the information into sections for easy understanding for your clients.
You can talk to your clients right on the platform without sharing your personal phone number if you don’t want to until you and your client come into a contract. And you don’t need to look out for third-party payment systems to receive your compensation.
Fiverr also allows the clients to rate your service and leave feedback.
This will appear in a section on your gig page, elevating the authenticity of your services to future clients.
How Fiverr can help you start to market your freelance business?
If you have an idea of creating your own business and staying safe at home in these pandemic times, Fiverr is the place to start. If you have confidence in your skillset and want to start and market your freelance business, Fiverr’s bundle of business tools will help you with it.
Fiverr lists your gigs based on the category of skillset you offer, your ‘pro’ status, locality, budget, and delivery time. The best average feedback you have from your clients the more are the chances to fit into the Fiverr’s recommendations filter.
Fiverr has a pro version that verifies your profile and displays it in the top priority list for the clients. Freelancers who prove exceptional on the platform are verified by Fiverr personally and ads a ‘Pro’ badge to your gigs.
If you ace the skills in the field and have positive feedback from the clients, you will be featured on their pro freelancer’s page.
It’s not easy to get this pro status as Fiverr takes it seriously in selecting and verifying the profiles. Only 1% of the applicants make it out of millions of applications. The quality of the fiverr services you offer is measured in parallel to the feedback and your expertise portfolio to award you this status.
If you are confident about your skill set, don’t miss a chance to earn this special status for your profile.
How does Fiverr work for freelancers?
A freelancer is also called a seller and the client a buyer on Fiverr. As a freelancer, you need to create gigs with different price ranges according to the delivery urgency, quantity, and other scalable elements of the service. For example, if you are offering 3 revisions for a basic plan, you can make it to 6 for an intermediate plan with an extra $5.
When you finish setting up your gigs, buyers, if they find it interesting and requirement fulfilling, will buy a plan among the list of packages you offer.
You finish the work and subject to them, and you get paid.
Out of your 100% paid by the buyer, you will get 80% of it to your account and 20% is held by Fiverr as a platform fee.
This cut is taken for every transaction performed through Fiverr which is worth it.
Once the transaction is done, the buyer will be asked to provide feedback for your service. This feedback will come along with a star rating that will have a significant impact on impressing the next client.
Once you start making money on Fiverr, you will understand how the platform works. The process of how to use Fiverr as a freelancer is explained step by step below.
You can get started by going through those steps one by one.
5 Effective Ways to Grow your Freelancer profile and get clients on Fiverr
Creating a portfolio doesn’t work on its own. You need to make it appealing to the clients with proper information and necessary images that display your work.
This all process goes in 5 simple steps.
Let’s take a look at them one-by-one.
1. Create and Complete your Fiverr profile
Profiles completed 100% appeal better to the buyers. Any buyer would see the authenticity of the service provider first before buying a gig.
Even before the rating and the offering, the profiles are the first pages any buyer will go through to judge you. Complete profiles look authentic and genuine.
Let’s see how to create a profile on Fiverr.
Step 1: Go to https://www.fiverr.com/ and click on the ‘join’ button on the menu bar. It will pop-up a quick signup box with Facebook, Google, and Apple login options. Choose one of the options or enter your email address in the field and click ‘continue’.
Step 2: Click on your icon > profile > choose what type of user you are on Fiverr. Don’t forget to set a professional profile picture for a better appeal.
Step 3: Once you are done with filling the profile picture, click on the ‘Create a New Gig’ button.
It will show up an intro screen with an outlay of guidelines. Click on ‘Continue’ to proceed to the next step.
No matter if you are a newbie, Fiverr provides you the gist of guidelines to makes the most out of your freelancing business on the platform.
Points to remember while creating a Fiverr profile:
- Add a profile picture, description, and other professional information that authenticates your skillset.
- Take care in presenting your skillset as you want using editing options on the site.
- Add your social media profile links to add more references to your personality.
- Add your professional skills crispy and with identifiable definitions.
- Verify your ID to get verified. This is a different type of verification for every freelance profile than a pro account.
Things not allowed on Fiverr:
- Providing inaccurate or false information about your identity.
- Opening duplicate accounts for creating more gigs and exposure in different verticals are not entertained.
- Soliciting the fellow members for work on Fiverr.
Step 4: In this step, you will be asked for your personal information like full name, profile picture, description, and known languages. Once the filling of the data is done, click on the ‘Continue’ button to go to the next step.
Remember that the description should at least be 150 characters. Fiverr doesn’t allow tiny descriptions to avoid spam registrations and fake sellers.
Step 5: This section asks for education and professional details. This is the form where you can list out your skillset, certifications, and personal website.
Step 6: You can connect your social media profiles here in this step. Click on the ‘Connect’ button beside each social media network and finish the process. Once done, click ‘Continue’ to proceed to the next step.
Step 7: In this step, you will enter your email ID and phone number for account security. Click on the ‘Continue and Create first gig’ button. A popup will appear showing the account information progress.
If you had missed any information in the previous steps, go back to your profile and add it. The profile below 65% rate is not allowed to create gigs. This ensures the genuinity of the profile on the platform. For this reason, sellers prefer Fiverr as their reliable freelancer marketplace Fiverr.
2. Get a Portfolio Website
A website is the face of the business, so is for a freelancer. You can only upload a limited number of previous works on Fiverr.
That’s why a website helps you showcase what you are capable of, precisely. Having a portfolio website will help you get more buyers on Fiverr by impressing them with the following:
- The profile looks authentic with a portfolio website. It shows that you are experienced and skillful to do the job.
- It showcases your sub-skills from the required to do the job. For example, if you are a writer and an SEO expert too, web content buyers will find you useful ending up you taking the gig.
- A portfolio website helps clients understand the professionality and quality of the services you offer.
- A website with your portfolio also displays the x-factor you provide comparatively with the competitors in the business.
What to have on a portfolio website?
Not just the previous work samples, the other elements also accomplice to convince your client to hire you. They are as follows:
- What you are, as the main headline in the first fold of the website.
- Your track record under it as a sub-headline in a single line.
- Your best offering to the clients.
- Clients feedback.
- Your growth journey on the ‘about’ page.
- Portfolio for each skillset segregated.
- Best of sample works.
- Last but not the least, great photos beaming positivity.
3. Showcase your best work
Fiverr allows you to showcase your previous work samples.
Showcase the best of your works here to impress the clients. The rest can go to your portfolio website.
The quality of your offering will be judged based on the quality of the work you display, irrespective of the description.
How to choose your best works to showcase on Fiverr?
The best works aren’t always the expensive ones. Do not pick those for which you got paid more. The price they got might not be the best for everyone else. If you have trouble picking up your best works, consider the following:
- Works that you are satisfied with, to the best of your input and creativity.
- Works that gave you better recognition.
- Works that went viral on social media.
- Works that are complex to do but you did them with best efforts.
- Works that are different in nature and requirement.
Demonstrate your passion for doing the work in your samples. It helps your client trust you more as you are promisingly going to take it seriously to perfect.
4. Start promoting your Services on social media
Once you set up your profile and gigs, don’t hesitate to share them on your social media profiles. Not on the feed like a spam link every day but profile bio and other places.
You can promote your Fiverr business on social media in the following ways:
- Add the Fiverr link in the bio section of your social media profiles.
- Mention keywords related to what you define yourself as (on Fiverr) along with the link.
- Share the Fiverr profile or gig links on your social media timelines.
- Never forget to promote your feedback to boast about the quality of the services you provide.
- Find freelancer groups and join them. Half of the deals come from social media groups because people always look for recommendations.
- Do not spam the groups but add value to them by sharing organic content. This will help you grow your network and trust.
- Add Fiverr badges to your profile pictures and cover photos. Anyone visiting your profile will know about it. You never know who’s visiting your profile and who’s in what requirement. Never miss a visitor.
- Keep sharing tips and tricks related to your skillset in story formats. Stories feature is on every social media network these days.
5. Ask for referrals
The best growth of any business comes from referrals. They don’t negotiate much because they trust the person who recommends the product or service to them.
Creating referrals is not an as easy task as you think.
It’s one side of the free mouth-canvasing – the positive side. To get positive feedback, you should deliver exceptional service to your clients. An exceptional service represents more than what they have expected from you.
How to ask your clients for referrals?
- Deliver more quality than what your clients require or expect from you. This will satisfy them and they will be ready to return you the favor in the name of feedback, rating, and referrals.
- Add a free cherry on the cake to your clients and don’t mention it in the description. Make sure the cherry adds the right flavor to the cake. For example, if you are delivering logo designs to your client, send them 2 more free samples or a free logo animation they can’t refuse. This will also make them want to return the favor.
- Ask your clients whether they are satisfied with your work, ask them if any changes are required before taking ratings directly on the platform. The display of your diligence and commitment will impress them to listen to you at the end. Ask them to refer after submitting the work.
- Help your friends with your skillset and ask them to share your gigs on their social media timelines with feedback.
- Make your clients’ long-term friends. Connect with them so that they will get your name in mind when they have a requirement or hear someone in need in their network.
Bonus Tips to Drive your Freelance Business Growth using Fiverr
1. Maintain a 100% response rate on your profile
Go to your dashboard on Fiverr and check your ‘response rate’ and ‘deliver on time’ rating. Check your order completion percentage. Maintain them to 100% to earn priority in Fiverr home page recommendations.
2. Create more gigs
One gig cannot help you reach out broader audience. Create more gigs according to your skillset and get exposure to them separately.
The more variants you provide to your buyers, the more are the chances to get a deal and making money on fiverr.
3. Check your online status
Check if your online status on Fiverr is set you offline.
The buyers with the urgent requirement will lookout for online profiles only to a quick closure. Don’t miss a chance by setting it offline.
4. Promote your work published on client’s web spaces
When your clients publish your work on their web spaces, ask them to let you promote it on your social media handles as well. No one would like to miss a chance of free shoutout to their business unless in special cases.
5. Handle canceled orders smoothly
Sometimes buyers may not like your work or they might have a different requirement that you cannot handle. Help them out by recommending your friendlies on the platform.
This way you will not end up with bad ratings.
6. Ask your friendlies to promote your fiverr gigs
Asking your peers on Fiverr or work is not allowed but asking them, out of professional friendship, to refer your profile to their clients with the relevant requirement is not harmful.
For example, a Blogger friend can refer you for a SEO Services or link building work. You also do the same for them.
I believe this article has given you an idea of setting up an account and earn money on Fiverr equal to a corporate job if well maintained.
Follow the advice and tips mentioned in this article and get your first job on Fiverr.
Wish you all the best in your freelance business.
May you get more Fiverr jobs this year.